Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Books Books Everywhere and Not a Word to Read

I'm in between books. And I am coughing up a lung (status: Three weeks and unchanged). I stayed up waaaaay too late last night, so I am exhausted. I have been pushing fluids. We are almost out of milk, but I am too tired to go get more milk, though I want to drink milk.

But I hate being in between books. The thing is, it's not like I don't have loads of books around that I haven't read. Either my dad sent them to me, or I purchased them with every intention of reading them and then chickened out.

I have to be careful what I read: If I read something too upsetting, it just makes the depression worse. I tend to do all right at movies, but reading is a whole different ball game.

So, I toyed today with the idea, in the name of frugality, of trying to read some of the books I have instead of wanting to go purchase more (because, let's face it, with the crap I read, I can get a new novel or three while I'm buying more milk). It makes sense to shop your own bookcases, right?

Off to Amazon.com I went and typed in the names of some of the books on my shelves that I haven't yet read. And review after review, I realized that I cannot read these books. They are about harrowing events, children who have grown up with sexual abuse and parents who are alcoholics. I am sure these books are finely written, but they are also, just by their reviews, devastating.

So, I have decided that I will shop the kids' bookcases first. I am sure I can find something there that won't push me over the edge.

In the meantime, do you have any good book recommendations for me? That don't contain utter tragedies in them?

8 comments:

L.G. said...

Pilgrim at Tinkers Creek by Annie Dillard - and if you get the collection Three (including Pilgrim) you won't regret it either.

Fr. Arseny translated by Vera Bouteneff. I PROMISE you it is not depressing.

And the latest - and most addictive of all on my bookshelf...any of the 20 odd Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien. They. are. wonderful. (The books they made Master and Commander from...)

Enjoy.

I'm nothing if not eclectic.

L. at the blue house.

Michelle de Seattle said...

Give me three random characteristics of your ideal book this hour.

Kathy Howe said...

My all time FAVORITE book is the Art of Living by Sharon Lebell (Epictetus translated).

Probably not what you are looking for but the good news is it isn't a downer to read.

Anonymous said...

I think you need a nice fantasy or mystery series. Have you read any Tamora Pierce? (ch./ya fantasy) I love! her.
Do you want to get together and work/grade any time in the next few days? coffee shop? your studio? I'm having trouble with the concentration, as usual.

Anonymous said...

anonymous is Claire, btw!!

Unknown said...

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is a good one. Not depressing, but a retelling of The Jungle Book. I loved it.

Matt P, by the way :)

Don said...

I prefer fantasy. Who wouldn't want to learn that they have special powers or characteristics that will save the world?

Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon
or
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
or
Sabriel by Garth Nix
or
Magic of Recluse by L.E.Modesitt

The first three have female main characters. As a reader of romance, you may enjoy that the super power Carey's main character possesses is essentially her sexual prowess (I suppose it goes a little deeper than that).

Anonymous said...

Well, if you're looking strictly for fiction, I'm rather out of being able to provide anything without some tragedy. What IS IT with these fiction writers? Heh. But I'm currently reading Happier (taking a long time about it, too, because have been slicing and dicing the chapters with friends) and now am also reading Generation Me. Liking both. But Nonfiction.